Tuesday 14 August 2012

Connect PS3 to PC through Media Server using Windows Media Player 12


When I tried to stream movies to my PS3 using my Windows 7 PC, I thought I had to just enable sharing in Windows Media Player but I couldn't find any options related to that. So I found this solution:
*Your PS3 and PC should be on the same network.

Before starting I would request you to note down the MAC address of your PS3
You can find your PS3 MAC address in
1) System Setting > System Information
2) Network Settings. (Scroll towards bottom)
Once you note down the Mac address then on your PC go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advance Sharing Settings.
Control Panel

Then you need to make sure:
- Network Discovery is ON
- File & Printer Sharing is ON
After that click on Media Streaming options.

Advance Sharing

Once you are done with it you would see a window of Media Sharing
On the Show devices drop bar, select All Networks
Then you would see some Unknown device / devices.
Double click each Unknown device to see the MAC address of the device. If the address matches your PS3 MAC address then allow that device for media sharing.

Media Sharing

 You would now be able to share your media (If your firewall is not blocking media access).

*Now head over to your PS3 and when you play a video or music you will be asked to Enable WMA playback. Just enable it in the System Settings.
*To watch movies from PC just place a movie in the 'Video' folder in your Documents on your PC. Similarly for music, just place a song in the 'Music' folder. But only files that are supported by Windows Media Player can be played like .avi, .mp4, mp3 etc..
You will not be able to play other extensions such as .mkv files because they are not supported by Windows Media Player. To do that you need PS3 Media Server whose link I will provide in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment